An Only Slightly Fictionalized Memory
Two days after I recognized my already always listening about Black people and money, it occurred to me that my filters are not all there is. How much of me and money is luck?
- I was born gifted – luck. I studied hard – me.
- Loving parenting and guidance – luck. Trust and obedience – me.
- Historical realities and timing – luck. Courage to venture into unknown – me.
- Shit happens – bad luck. Motivation to overcome adversity – me.
- Shit happens – luck. Planning and dogged tenacity to execute plans – me.
- Opportunities – luck. Patience – me.
- Opportunities – luck. Judgment – me.
- Opportunities – luck. Gratitude – me.
The money opportunities that I have taken were unpredictable for a skinny little dark-skinned immigrant girl growing up in Spanish Harlem when I did. There were no role models in my world and no reason why I should even dream the world that I never knew existed.
Another day, another layer. And the beat goes on.